Suggest treatment after shattering left shoulder

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My sister is 68 and fell on her left shoulder two days ago, went to hospital and they said she shattered her shoulder. Her orthopedic doctor said she needs to be operated on and a metal plate put in her shoulder...this had to be done quickly as he said he did not like the way it was mending.
What if she just lets it heal without operation? Is there time to arrange second opinion? What risk of infection is there? We are in Utah and she is in Florida, Daytona Beach area.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to go for the surgery(But difficult to say without seeing her)

Detailed Answer:
Welcome, Dear XXXX!

I welcome you at my Virtual Clinic and I can understand your concerns. Yes surgery is the option if she really has shattered her shoulder. It means she may be vulnerable to infection of the joint space. She may get nerve damage and paralysis of the hand and arm too if there is nerve impingement by any broken bone spurs. If humerus is fractured, there may be fat embolism and sudden death if it goes to the heart. What I mean is you can't leave it as such and wait for any artery or vein damage and internal bleed. So many risk factors are there.

Go urgently to the Orthopaedic Surgery department and get it done as soon as possible. Hope it helps. Feel free for any follow up or direct Questions/doubts. I will happy to help.

Regards!
DR. HANIF XXXXXXX USA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Muhammad Hanif