• question-icon

Suggest topical medication to ease pain in the body

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Is there anything you can put on the skin to help the pain (like ice)?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing more, only pills

Detailed Answer:

I suppose you're talking about shingles? Valtrex and gabapentin are the main drugs against it. If gabapentin (when properly titrated) does not confer any benefit or the side effects exceed the benefit, then other similar drugs can be tried like pregabalin. Using painkillers may also help. Paracetamol is a very simple drug that potentiates the effects of other - more potent - drugs. It can be even more useful when used in combination with mild opioids (like tramadol). In case nothing else works you can use NSAIDs for a limited period of time.

Unfortunately no local treatment is expected to provide significant relief...

I hope you find this information helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis