Suggest the ideal dosage for Omeprazole taken for persistent cough

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Doctor.
I have been coughing for more than 3 months and i took all kinds of medicines and therapies without any effect. The last doctor has told me i may suffer from acid reflux. They prescribed me Omeprazole 20mg twice daily. Is it enough? And what are the best treatments for the acid reflux?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow. .

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking on HCM!
You are routing to have been with cough for 3 months and probably ly it has been due to acid reflux.

Yes acid reflux may cause cough due to aspiration of stomach secretions.

Omeprazole is a good choice but the new gena ration of PPI drugs is better like pantoprasole.
Otherwise I would suggest to use:
- pantoprasole 40 mg twice per day
- Metoclopramide 10 mg three times per day
- antacid like gaviscon.
Apart medication it is too Important diet and lifestyle.
This is why I suggest as follows :
- eat often andsmall amount of meal
- avoid spicy and fatty foods
- avoid coffee and chocolate
- use two pillows whend you lay down
- try to lose weight
- increase physical activity
- avoid unnecessary stress
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Thanks for u doctor , I have been coughing for over 3 months wirhout stopping. I have seen more than 6 specialists and i did 2 CT scan , yeast blood test , full blood test , breathe and lung function. I have done everything and i took bunches of medicines such XXXXXXX antibiotics , anti wheezing , inhalers , antitussives , expectorants, anti histamines and applied masks at the hospital, nothing has worked so far. Some will say cough which is telated to Asthma , some says pneumonia and the last doctor said i may have acid reflux. I currently feel that there is heavy thing at my throat area with smoky chest and upper respiratory area as well , i feel i cannot swallow smoothly but i dont have burn sensation or symptoms like ulcer , mainly i feel smoke in my throat and chest and something inside will trigger my cough. When i cough it will be deeply , breathe deeply then cough. Are they symptoms of acid reflux? And when i will feel better after taking the medicines?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
I read carefully all your symptoms and to my opinion you need to be examined with:
- upper endoscopy
- 24 hour Ph metry of esophagus
These exams will better determine if you have acid reflux.
Your symptoms like burning throat and cough may be due to acid reflux.

The treatment will need at least 2 weeks to feel better.
Wish you all the best
Dr.Klerida