Suggest remedy for social anxiety disorder

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am a 33 year old male married with 2 kids. All my life, i have inferiority complex and social anxiety. I really did not seek professional help. Recently my father had passed away and i could not endure the loss and could not sleep for many day and had to visit the doctor to get sleeping pills. I really want to acheive in my life but i always think i am a very slow person and stupid. I cant focus on reading anything and i can also forget something that i have read. Recently i thought of suicide and keep crying alot because i feel like a coward and not able to stand up for myself. i also dont have any aim in my life as well. I am getting more worried about myself and i am not able to meet anyone if there is a function or wedding or any other social meeting. I really want to live a normal life just like anyine else but too afraid to do anything.Even my current work is at a data center monitoring work and there is no one to socialise with. I dont have much friends as well. I am getting more worried as my kids are 3 and 5. I want to become brave and do things just like anyone.How can i overcome my fears and go onto acheiving?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need professional help from a psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern. I am sorry for your father. Your normal bereavement is likely converted in depression.

Sleep disturbance, worthlessness, lack of concentration, crying spells, thoughts of dying, excessive worries all are symptoms of depression. You are likely suffering from depression.For confirmation of diagnosis detail history and mental status examination are required to be done by a psychiatrist.
You are young and depression is treatable condition. There are many other medicines available for depression and psychotherapy can also help.

Treatment of depression includes both medicines and psychotherapy.

In psychotherapy I prefer cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs (fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertraline, escitalopram) are main stay of the treatment.
Benzodiazepines group of drugs(clonazeapm,lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.

Simultaneously you have social anxiety disorder is there likely. To be come interactive and remove fears CBT will help a lot. Medicine treatment remains the same more or less as that of depression.
We need to rule out anxious personality disorder in your case.

In my opinion you must consult psychiatrist without hesitation as soon as possible. Earlier the treatment starts better the results.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.