Suggest remedy for palpitations after eating food

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was just wondering why i feel palpitations after eating and sometimes when i wake up in the morning. I noticed that i have palpitations after eating. Even the slightest movement such as getting up and walking will be accompanied by tacycardia. i have had all cardiac tests done and everything was structurally normal and i passed both my stress tests in the past year. My 48 hour holter showed some pacs and very few pvc.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some triggering factors may be responsible.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that palpitations feeling is quite common in healthy individuals. It may be an expression of some triggering factors within or outside the body that generate stimuli over the heart. At that point a pounding heart is the main manifestation (some sinus tachycardia, even a few ectopic heart beats may be present), but still everything is going to be OK! The trigger will fade, and those unpleasant feelings will dissipate soon. So nothing to worry about!

Your heart is quite normal, and is always going to be the that way, even after those unpleasant palpitations moments. The performed cardiac tests confirms us this wonderful conclusion.

You just have to be aware of any possible triggering factors on your heart, so to to be able to minimize those unpleasant stimuli. Some times, excessive drinking (some alcohol, caffeine, tea, etc) or even elevated stress, or anxiety may be responsible.

I recommend you to consult a gastro-enterologist for a routine check up, as some digestive conditions (acid reflux, hiatal hernia, etc) may be hidden behind such cardiac manifestations.

Nevertheless, remember that you are a normal healthy person, and you don't have to panic about that.

Hope to have been helpful.

Greetings! Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 hours later
Hi doctor thank you for this explanation. Is it normal to have palpitations on and off for the past year? Also is it still normal if they continue for some time or is that dangerous or a warning sign of something worse? I'm confused on this subject
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No warning danger from your palpitations.

Detailed Answer:

Hi again XXXX!

Regarding your last questions, I would like to explain that: it is quite normal for a healthy person to experience at least palpitations ( even some rare ectopic beats) time after time in his life. There is nothing abnormal as far.

These palpitations are a normal cardiac reaction from several triggering factors, and do not mean any obvious cardiac pathologies.

They are not dangerous, or warning signs of any dangerous cardiac conditions, as there is not any prior cardiomyopathy concluded from the performed cardiac tests (so no existing anatomical substrate to be destabilized).

Hope to have been of help. Greetings! Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist