Suggest remedy for pain and difficulty walking after eating food

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: AFTER I EAT I CAN NOT WALK VERY FAR WITHOUT GETTING ANGINA TYPE SYMPTOMS AND SEVERE GURD TYPE PAIN
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms don't seem to be related to any cardiac disorders.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms don't seem to be cardiac related (including cardiac ischemia).

A gastro esophageal reflux could explain this symptomatology.

Are your symptoms relieved by antiacids?

You should know that after eating, the diaphragm is slightly distended from the full stomach. The pressure inside the stomach is raised too.

Walking is a physical activity which needs the activation of the abdominal muscles. This could raise more the abdominal pressure, causing exacerbation of the gastro esophageal reflux.

Anyway I would recommend consulting with your GP for a careful physical examination, a resting ECG, a chest x ray study and some blood tests:

-complete blood count
-kidney and liver function tests
-fasting glucose
- blood electrolytes, etc. , to check if everything is OK.

You should perform a fibrogastroscopy to rule in/out a possible gastro esophageal reflux or any other disorders (esophagitis, gastritis, etc).

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri