Suggest remedy for memory problems in an elderly person

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: My husband is 79 years old and he will forget things like today we went to town to get a part for a car he is working on and when we got ther he forgot the car he was working on and could not get the part. I tried to help him by telling him when - where - how he bought it' no way for him to get his member back for about 2 hours
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dementias should be addressed first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Memory problems in older adults, with no evidence of brain lesions in imaging studies, could be related to several conditions such drugs side effects, low levels of vitamin B12, head trauma, diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, but most important condition that needs to be addressed first is dementia.

This condition should be evaluated by consulting your husband's Neurologist and having done respective tests to evaluate it (mental state examination eg.).

If dementia excluded after evaluation, above mentioned conditions should be evaluated further.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T