Suggest remedy for knee pain post an injury

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: I scraped both of my knees on Friday night. I immediately washed them out with rubbing alcohol and covered them with gauze. I followed this with a daily salt water rinse and application of neosporin. However as it has been roughly 60 hours since the initial injury, I am concerned because the pain has not subsided and it continually leaks a thin yellow fluid. Additionally there is a creamy white layer that has formed under the neosporin. Do I need further medical attention, or is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The wound looks fine. No need to consult a doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It looks pretty normally. The injury has caused part of the skin removal. It pretty deep actually. That is why it looks like that.
From the attached picture I can say that the wound is clean, no sign of an infection. Leaking yellow fluid is the normal thing as well. As the wound is opened, the fluid is leaking.
I do not thing you should apply neosporin cream at this point. I suggest you to rather keep it clean and cover it with gauze. This should be enough.
Such deep and large wound will be healing couple of weeks for sure. So you need to be patient.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Will walking impair my recovery?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
No it wont.

Detailed Answer:
No, it should not. Just try to limit more intense activities like running.