Suggest remedy for high fever and loosing consciousness in child

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Please find attached Doctor’s report.
My son (5 year) had a problem of getting sudden fever at the age of 2. It happened 2 times at the age of 2 & after that it happened at the age of 5.
In fever
•     His head gets very hot like hot iron rode.
•     He gets unconscious
We consulted the doctor, after going through EEG report he says that child has generalized interictal seizures & we are giving him the pills which he advised in his prescription.

I want to know your opinion & medicines.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is better to give anti-seizure medications.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted the symptoms of your son. These are suggestive of febrile seizures. Generally, there is no need to use any anti-seizure medications in a patient with febrile seizures. However, as the EEG is abnormal here suggesting a diagnosis of seizure disorder, it is better to continue anti-seizure medications.

I hope it helps,

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for high fever and loosing consciousness in child 53 minutes later
Sir,

Do you feel the proscribed medication is sufficient?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Valparin should be started.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I feel anti-seizure medications should be started. I did not find any anti-seizure medication in the prescription.

The best option would be sodium valproate (valparin).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for high fever and loosing consciousness in child 19 minutes later
Thank you sir,

As per our doctor Valparin to be given in case of epilepsy. However per our doctor one brain vain is pressed (Brain ki Nas dbi hui hai). He said, in epilepsy fever does not come, however my child gets unconscious in sudden fever. He said this is not the case of epilepsy, as no one in our family has. (hereditary).

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to discuss about EEG.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I agree that it is common for children to gets fits with fever (between 6 months to 6 years of age). However, in those cases EEG report is normal. Also, anti-seizure drugs are nor needed in these cases.

You need to ask your doctor to explain why the EEG is abnormal in this case? Abnormal EEG should not be seen with febrile seizures.

Regarding family history, about 50% of children with epilepsy will not have any family members with epilepsy.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)