question-icon

Suggest remedy for hardness after getting the abscess lanced

Posted on Thu, 21 Jul 2016
Question: i had an abcess drained a week ago but it still feels hard underneath, coul it still be there?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Usually not the case- Ultrasound confirms

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/37 - visited Doctor, got the abscess lanced - a week ago - still feels hard underneath - wants to know whether it could be still there...

usually the abscess is a single cavity and on opening the whole cavity is drained, the Surgeon usually explored the cavity to see whether there is any septataions or loculations. Hence the chance of abscess still being there underneath is very meager and rare.
The hard feeling is usually due to induration of the surrounding tissues due to edema, a natural guarding phenomenon that develops to guard off the rest of the body.
This can be confirmed by high resolution ultrasound, raised WBC count, throbbing pain and so on.
I am hopeful that you are under the cover of an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory medication.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon