Suggest remedy for cough and cold in an infant

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi sir. My baby is 19 month old , he is suffering from cold and cough from last 5 days. I was giving him servil syrup and wikoryl syrup. But it doesn't effect much... Someone advice me to give myxtra syrup... Can u please suggest?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maxtra will not be useful

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM
Most common reason for cough and cold in this age group is self limiting viral illness. It improve gradually in 1-2 weeks. So don't worry. It needs just symptomatic treatment as you are already giving. Servil Junior and Wikoryl are good for most of the cough in toddlers. As Maxtra contents act in the same way, so it won't have any added advantage.

If your child is not very uncomfortable and is afebrile, then I would recommend you to continue the same medications. If the cough is troubling a lot and associated with fever spikes, then visit a pediatrician for proper clinical examination and treatment. They may advice you for chest X Ray (to rule out pneumonia) and throat swab ( to rule out bacterial infection) if needed. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin and Azithromycin can be used there after.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.