Suggest remedy for chronic diarrhea

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Wed, 2 Mar 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,

I was recently traveling to XXXXXXX and there it was extremely cold. After I have come back I have had watery stools (14 times). I have taken zifi 200 and sporlac plus. No relief so far. Please suggest if i should take O2 or any other antibiotic.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute diarrhea

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Judicious use of antibiotics is appropriate in selected instances of acute diarrhea and may reduce its severity and duration .

One can start empirically without diagnostic evaluation using a quinolone, such as ciprofloxacin (500 mg bid for 3–5 d).

However acute diarrhoea particularly traveler's diarrhea (travelling to Delhi) may be due to mixed infection .Hence you need to combine with metronidazole (250 mg qid for 7 d).

Hence a combination of ciprofloxacin (500 mg) and Tinidazole (500mg) e.g Ciplox-TZ twice a day can be started empirically in place of Zifi (cefixime),since it is not working well.

You can take also Racecadotril 100 mg tds for 2-3 days as it has been shown to reduce both the frequency and duration of acute diarrhoea of presumed infectious origin.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee