Suggest treatment for diarrhea and abdominal pain

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: I have diarrhea almost every day. My stools are very thin even when somewhat formed. I have a lot of liquid stools with slime. Sometimes they are dark green and sometimes a golden brown color. I am bloated all the time and have non-specific abdominal pain, mostly on the left upper side. I have the odor of blood in my stool frequently but I don't see any blood. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you had a colonoscopy?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for this query.

I will like to know if you have had a screening colonoscopy ever. If yes, when and what were the findings?

Also, what drugs are you on and how many watery stools do you have daily? This is important in establishing the severity of this condition and proposing helpful measures to address it.

Hope to hear from you before providing more definitive information on this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 hours later
I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 3 weeks. My last one was three years ago. There were no abnormal findings at that time other than some internal hemorrhoids. I was diagnosed with GERD and IBS. I had a recent Cologuard screening that came back positive for abnormal cells. That's when I was set up for a colonoscopy. I have not changed any medications in the last three years and the Dr. does not feel they are a contributing factor. I had an ultrasound due to elevated liver enzymes last month which only shows a fatty liver of unknown cause as I stated before. I have at least one watery stool daily sometimes several. I very seldom have any formed stool and when I do it is very thin and narrow. As I stated I have left upper abdominal pain that radiates through to my ribs in back. The pain is there almost all the time now. I am nauseated almost all the time and sometimes a little short of breath with the pain.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy will answer our questions!

Detailed Answer:

With a colonoscopy to be done soon, we will have all answers to this recurrent diarrhea/thin stools. I will wait on these results before offering further suggestions on how to proceed.

I understand your anxiety but all is well. There is nothing to be afraid of at this time. With the last colonoscopy just three years ago, no matter what, there would be nothing that cannot be addressed fully.

Keep me updated!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad