question-icon

Suggest remedies for severe vaginal itching after a bariatric surgery

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: Hi. I had bariatric surgery 10 days ago. I was cathed. I'm experiencing so sever itching and irritation. It started almost a week ago. Vagisil wipes didn't help. Desitin helped at first but now barely at all. Help!!!
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You most likely have a yeast infection of the skin

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

The moisture on your skin in the area where you had the catheter most likely caused you to develop a yeast infection of your vagina and surrounding skin. Applying an anti fungal cream like Monitsat inside the vagina and on the surrounding skin should help with the itching as well as cure the infection. Oral Fluconazole can also be taken- it is by a doctors prescription, but it takes up to a week to work completely. I suggest you use both especially if you are obese to fully treat the whole bulbs, vagina and surrounding skin.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that my advice was helpful. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN