• question-icon

Suggest remedies for severe pain in right buttocks

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Problem: right buttocks pain.
Symptoms: dull, aching, though occasionally sharp. The sharp pain was when I did some stretching, bridges and dead bug exercises the day after the triggering incident. Usually mild, sometimes closer to moderate level pain/discomfort. Started about a week ago. No discernible swelling or discoloration today. Didn't check that until today. Discomfort tends to increase as day goes on.
Trigger: About a week ago, did a hip/quad stretch that put pressure/strain on right buttock. You lie face down, half off and half on bed or therapist table with the off leg bent at knee and as far forward as comfortable with foot on floor. You use stretch strap around other foot to help stretch quads and hip muscles of leg on the bed. While stretching left leg, felt discomfort in right buttock. Next day did kind of an awkward squat to pick something up off floor. Felt pain in upper right buttock near butt crack. Now feel discomfort there and more towards middle of buttock.
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to use PAINKILLERS and ORTHOPEDIC opinion required

Detailed Answer:
Welcome at HCM.
Thank you for the query.
I have gone through your query and being your physician I completely understand your health concerns.
After going through your history , In my opinion , all you need is to give rest to your affected hip joint. You should use painkillers ( acetaminophen) along with the muscle relaxants, like TIZANIDINE. You may need prescription for muscle relaxants since it is not an over the counter medicine.
In your age group , I would say that you should be seen by an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON once so that you can be properly correlated. You may need to get an X RAY of the affected joint
Meanwhile stay calm and avoid physical activity until it is recommended by your doctor.

Get well soon
Hope your query is adequately addressed if you still have any feel free to ask

Dr Saad Sultan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Saad Sultan 11 hours later
Thanks for your response.

Do you think a problem with my hip joint is causing my right buttock pain?

If it's not a problem with the hip joint, what do you think is the next most likely reason for the pain?

Thanks again, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:
welcome at HCM
Thank you for your follow up query.

It appear to be MUSCULOSKELETAL pain , which means it is either originating from the joint or from the muscle of the buttock. There are many causes of buttock pain like abscess , musculoskelatal pain, referred pain and due to the nerve comprerssion , BUT , in your case it is most likely the musculoskeletal in origin.

Stay calm and Meet an ORTHOPEDIC surgeon so that you can be properly clinically correlated..
Use acetaminophen to relieve pain

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Saad Sultan 8 days later
Butt pain is still there. I didn't exercise on Thurs. And Fri. Yesterday I did 8 minutes (low resistance) on stationary bike, then gentle stretching, including piriformis stretches. Some spasms last night when I got into bed. They weren't painful, and they stopped after a few minutes. Also doing back arches in case it's a back problem. Haven't seen doc. Hoping it will resolve on its own.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
continue with your physical activities

Detailed Answer:
Welcome at HCM
I appreciate your follow up...
Good to hear that you are returning to normal day life. Continue with your physical activities and avoid too much vigorous activities.
Right now , if you are not having any complaints then no need to see your physician but if there is recurrent pain then I suggest you to visit your orthopedic surgeon.
Get well soon
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Saad Sultan