Suggest remedies for sever diaper rash with open sores in an infant

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my grandson has a severe diaper rash, to the point of open sores. my daughter has tried everything she can find on it. both over the counter and old wives tales. she does not let him keep on a wet diaper and often when she is off work, she lets him run around with one at all.. he has just turned 1 and he only drinks milk or sometimes water.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid antibiotic ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Greetings of the day,

Dear Ms,

Long standing diaper rash usually have associated fungal (candida) infection , so they are unlikely to respond to antibiotic ointment alone.

I would suggest the following:

1. Keep the area clean and dry

2. Have at least diaper free time of 2 hours a day

3. Local application of antifungal like Clotrimazole along with steroid ointment twice a day for 2 weeks will be helpful

4. Avoid use of antibiotic based ointment

5. Local Application of Dr Smith's Zinc Oxide Ointment twice a day will help

It would also be helpful if you could share/upload clinical photograph with me for assessment

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kaltari
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee