How to treat a wound in the vagina due to scratching with fingernails?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: i scratched my vagina when I was showering and
now I have a light pink residue when I wipe. will this go away on it's own
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

If you scratched the skin with your nail and not anything that would cause a deep wound, it should heal soon.

If the scratch is on the outside, the labia, you can put a XXXXXXX of clean zinc oxide or Desitin on it to promote healing, but that isn't absolutely necessary. If kept clean and not irritated, it should heal on it's own.

When wiping, while it is healing, XXXXXXX rather than swipe with the toilet paper to decrease irritation.