• question-icon

Suggest remedies for scoliosis pain

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Back Pain
Question: hi, I am a 23 year old girl and I have always struggled with back problems including scoliosis and a buldging disk in lower lumbar. I have been to physical theraphy alot over the years and though it has helped, I have not been going anymore. I was working on the weekends,always on my feet, I noticed that the job was making my back hurt alot, where I feel like I was going to faint from the pain being so bad. I had to actually quit my job. now recently it seems when I do even little things like a cooking class and im on my feet for more then 3 hours my pain in my back gets very unbearable and even hard for me to breath. The doctors had told me it was my curve in my spine that was pressing against my lung at times. I cant even go up a flight of stairs sometimes eithout feeling some sort of back pain or shotness of breath. could you advise me on what test to ask for to have done or what could be the issue.

p.s I was hospitalized a year ago for fainting at the doctors office from excruciating pain in my lower back. they realeased me the same day and just gave me pain meds.

thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lung function tests will help.

Detailed Answer:
Scoliosis and postural problems can cause a back muscle spasm that can be persistent. The shortness of breath that you feel can be due to the spinal curvature pressing on the lungs or decreased vital capacity. Lung function tests will help in determining any such functional lung problem.
Apart from the test, you need regular exercise and physiotherapy to build up the muscle strength. Taking oral muscle relaxants and frequent breaks from the work will help in decreasing the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon