• question-icon

Suggest remedies for respiratory tract infection

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I went the doc yesterday they believed me to have pnumonia & sinus infection. Today, If I blow my nose, it is clear. When I cough, I have some blood in the mucus. Should I be alarmed?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
monitor for now, it is not uncommon with infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia or sinus disease cause inflammation/irritation of the airways and sinuses.

Irritated or inflamed airways may bleed. This is not uncommon.

As the infection resolves, this tendency to bleed would also resolve.

Bleeding is only a concern if it occurs persistently when there is no infection or allergy present (allergies can also inflame the airways).

You can monitor for now

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James