Suggest remedies for red rashes on the hands

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor
I have developed a rash On my hands, doesn't hurt or itch. But it's red dry and scaly. It's between my fingers and other joints. It makes my hands look wrinkly.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
If you provide a picture then it will be more helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be due to psoriasis. If you send a picture then it will be more helpful. Does the scales have silvery appearance. ?
Using combination creams of salicylic acid 2 to 3 % and corticosteroid like hydrocortisone will be helpful. You can also apply liquid paraffin oil along with this for local application.

Avoid soaps. You can use green gram powder instead of soaps.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 4 days later
Sorry for the late reply doctor. It's reddish and scaly. I have attached an image below. I have it only in my palms and hands,i don't experience any dryness on rest of the skin on my body. I have a habit of washing my hands frequently, could that be a factor.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like psoriasis.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

I have gone through your picture. It looks like psoriasis. Excess washing can be a reason of getting this. Avoid soaps. Use green gram powder for washing. Or you can use hypoallergenic soaps like cetaphil in moderation.
Using combination cream containing salicylic acid 2 to 3% and corticosteroid like hydrocortisone for local application will be helpful for this. You can also use liquid paraffin oil along with this.
Using coconut oil for application on affected skin is a natural remedy for this.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar