• question-icon

Suggest remedies for persistent boils

Posted on Wed, 29 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: What causes boils, and how do you get rid of them?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Causes and management listed in detail ma'am, best wishes

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Boils usually occur when either an oil gland or hair follicle is obstructed or infected. Some of the most common causes include poor general hygiene, poor nutrition, some chronic conditions (e.g. diabetes), immunocompromised state, etc.

Management usually includes the following:

+Warm compress over the region several times a day, which promotes good blood circulation and in turn healing
+Maintaining good personal hygiene
+Do not pop the boil yourself, the hot compress will lead it to pop and drain on its own
+Topical antibiotic application (e.g. neosporin) twice daily once it has popped
+Sterile bandage for the first 48 hours over the boil once it has popped, after applying the topical antibiotic
+Drink plenty of fluids

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan