• question-icon

Suggest remedies for itchy vulva along with rashes on the upper thighs

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am over 65 I have a very itchy vulva and now the rash is on the inside of my upper thigh this started all of a sudden and was very swollen and sore the swelling has gone down I'm not sexually active and have not for many years can. help.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Itchy vulva and thigh

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM

I do understand your concern

With such a presentation in my clinic, I Would first rule out vaginitis due to yeast infection by doing a physical examination only. For it I may prescribe a full course of anti fungal [Fluconazole] orally and a tropical application of [Miconazole]cream to control itchiness of vulva.Both medications required doctor's prescription so you can discuss with your treating doctor, Besides it you may need few preventive steps like this which may help you in future-:

1)Rinse soap from your outer genital area after shower and dry it.

2)Avoid irritants like scented tampons and pads

3)Do not douche vagina due to death of normal bacteria which resides inside your vagina, and this leads to vaginal infection again and again.

4)In day time wear cotton undergarments and nighttime do not wear any undergarments to avoid infections.

5)Mix one teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar and mix it with one teaspoonful water and apply to itching areas and wash it with hot water after 30 minutes may help you.

Hope that helps

Please let me know if you have further questions before meeting your primary care Doctor.

Thanks and wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo