question-icon

Suggest remedies for itchy eyes

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: My wife is having itchy eyes from last 2-3 days. Eye sight is fine, its just itching on outer side of eye lids and around the inner corners of eye lids. Also there is no redness and water coming from eyes. Is there any generic eye drop she can use AND any lubricant she can use on outer side for her eye lids for a relief. If the problem persists then I will consult a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN (7 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your wife's problem can be most likely due to allergy. Taking antihistamines like cetirizine (zyrtec) will be helpful for this. this is available as over the counter. There is also clear eyes eye drops for itching which you can use.

Let me know if anything not clear.I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN (50 minutes later)
Thanks for this useful information. There is itching at the outer skin of eyes also. Do I need to use any lubricant for that?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Outer skin also is part of allergy most liely.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Outer part itching also most likely part of allergy. You don't need to use any lubricant on outer part. Antihistamines (cetirizine) will help to clear the itching. Clear eye drops is enough to apply in eyes.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN