Suggest remedies for increasing the appetite in children

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: hi dr,my baby is 11 months and she weighs 6kg she refuses to take food nd milk .. she has no ill ..she is bottle fed baby she used to have 200ml formula per day nothing other than that .. can you tell any medication to increase apetite? please help docter ..i am
so tensed
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gradually you need to shift to solids

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. I feel that the approach is important. Rather than force feeding, the child needs to be coaxed to eat. The child needs to be weaned to thick liquids followed by mashed solids. Try different items, starting with small amounts at a time. Introduce one new item per week and stick to it for the week. The child will grow used to it and would start accepting it gradually. Start with simple things like mashed boiled potatoes or simply bananas. Gradually introduce other fruits and food items.

I would insist you not to ask for medicines that increase appetite. Medicines like cyproheptidine increase appetite but are toxic to the liver and should not be taken. Alternatively (having no other useful options) doctors would prescribe simple vitamin syrups which serve no purpose and would simply be flushed out with urine (vitamins are not stored in excess).

If you need further assistance, feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
thanks docter, i had tried various types of food but she has no apetite to have food or milk
will cyproheptadine hydrochloride will increase apetite??
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
It is a harmful medicine

Detailed Answer:
Please do not try it. That will do more harm than good. However, it might increase the appetite.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
can you suggest any simple syrups for increasing apetite
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Such a thing does not exist.

Detailed Answer:
None exists.