• question-icon

Suggest remedies for bug bites

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: A couple days ago I went to the beach and later that day I noticed there were what looked like bug bites 5 places on my body. They didn't look like mosquito bites which is what I would've initially thought. They were about the size of a dime and raised up like a blister, but entirely red. Now, 3 days later, they look bigger and more flattened. There's a rash on it. The middle is dark red and it gets lighter as it goes further out. I need to know if I should seek medical attention.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

I read history and saw the photo you posted. You are right. The lesion you developed may be most probably insect bite induced. It may be called insect bite dermatitis. There is an erythematous patch. You may be having burning sensation and mild to severe itching sensation. You consult the dermatologist for the perfect diagnosis.

I would suggest as follow...

- antihistaminics like desloratidine 5 mg twice a day to relieve itching
- steroids like methyl prednesolone 8 mg thrice a day for five days, then to reduce twice a day for five days, then to once a day for five days, then alternate days for few days..then to stop
- short course of antibiotic like cephalaxin 500 mg twice a day for five days
- apply antibiotic cream like sisomycine cream
- avoid soap bath, you may use dettol liquid for the bath

Gradually the lesions may fade and ultimately vanish. And take precaution to prevent further insects bite as your skin seems sensitive.

I hope this would help you.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 20 minutes later
Are these medications you suggest available over-the-counter or should I go to the doctor to get a prescription for them?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again,

This medicines are not available over the counter. Kindly consult the doctor and have prescription from your doctor...ok

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist