• question-icon

Suggest remedies for bleeding from the navel in an infant

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor, we have a baby of 3 months. She entered into 4th on this 27th. Now few days back we have seen yellow yellow out from her and today we have seen blood coming out from navel. So question is what should we apply to stop bleeding and what care to be taken ? Should we rush to doc now ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin K needs to be administered

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

Bleeding from the navel can occur in many children of this age and administration of vitamin K is usually enough to control it. You need not panic. Apply some antibiotic ointment like mupirocin and take her to a pediatrician. He would be able to manage it suitably.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Ok sir yes we will reach to pediatrician today only. Just i want to know the seriousness. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the severity of bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Unless it is bleeding heavily it is not serious and you need not get concerned. The doctor should be able to manage the rest. However, if the bleeding is intense, you have to apply gentle pressure over the navel while you take her to the doctor at the earliest.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 hours later
Yes we have seen to pediatrician. He told us to use neomycin and after 3 days twice a day neomycin usage, we need to keep salted cloth for 3 weeks to cover her navel (keeping solid salt in a cloth in round to her navel) still if that small pimple from which blood was coming remain then he told us to see surgeon. I wish that after few days it gets dried. Praying for it. Sending you the pics. 1st one is the pimple at the centre. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not look concerning to me

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attachments. Does not look concerning to me. As expected the doctor has suggested for application of antibiotic powder. Had it been serious, he would have suggested something else. You need not panic. I hope it to be fine soon.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Thanks sir.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
In case you found my answer to be helpful, I would request you to close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.

Wish you health.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Yes sure sir, i am not closing because i still have a question. Just now again she has bleedingg from navel. Sending you the image.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fever is the symptom to look out for.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for not considering that. I have checked the attached image. A step by step approach needs to be taken. Wait for a few days. The sign to look out for would be fever of 100°F or more. You also need to note if the temperature around the navel seems higher.

The following links should be useful for you:
http://www.health.vic.gov.au/neonatalhandbook/conditions/bleeding-conditions.htm
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/974489-overview

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician