question-icon

Suggest precautions to be taken around family members while suffering from MRSA infection

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: I have been diagnosed with Mersa! Please help with suggestions for treatment. Proscribed ointment & Start a 10 day course of antibiotic Bactin. Swab was of both nostrils. They're feeling better. Very bad sore throat. Start antibiotic tomorrow.Take for 10 days. It has been suggested that this diagnosis is highly contagious.How do I protect my family from becoming infected.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
apply cream locally in nose both sides

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
MRSA is a resistant type of staphylococcus organism.
It spreads among contacts.
For nasal infection and carrier state treatment Mupirocin or Fusidic acid cream should be applied twice a day regularly for two weeks.
To protect other family members, avoid face to face or hand contact and keep a hanky on face if you cough or sneeze.
Keep your nose free of secretions and crusts and wash hands with antiseptic soap every time after you touch your nose.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ram Choudhary