Suggest oral antibiotics for tooth infection

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I am an RN I have a tooth infection that has moved into my sinuses upper left maxilla. I am deaf except for 3% in my left ear I am worried that the infection can spread to my hear and I will lose the last 3% of my hearing. I can not take oral antibiotics and the dentist is trying to figure out what he can do until the surgery which is weeks away. What antibiotic can I be given IM that will clear the infection and not affect my hearing?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sinus CT. IV antibiotics. BAHA.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. A Sinus CT will help plan treatment.

2. A good combination of IV antibiotics will be a penicillin group (beta lactam are resistant such as Augmentin) and imidazole group ( such as metronidazole). There is a large choice of non oto toxic IV antibiotics.

3. A Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA) implanted on the left side will be ideal. Upload an Audiogram.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.