Suggest medication for pain due to severe gout attack

Question
ok...my husband is haaving a gout attack in hishand...the colchicine is not helping. he has ussed endomethecin but does not have any currently, here at home. Is theer anything else that will help withthe pain that we may have at home?

I hVE NO IDEA WHAT/HHOW TO UPLOAD ANYTHING ANYWHERE ON THIS MACHINE, FYI.......not an accompllished user. so, will look for the email, and hopefully find this again, or click on something meaningful/that will work, trusting email
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medications suggested and other recommendations also

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Gout episodes are very abrupt and painful and cause swelling and redness. It generally does not effect both sides at a time. Mostly it effects the big toes and ankles, rarely it effects other joints.

Medications to help with pain is Ibuprofen high doses like 800 mg every 6 hours after food. Anything in its family should be good like diclophenac, naproxen, etc- needs to take one or the other. Please do not use aspirine as it might make gout much worse.
Using cold compresses locally might be helpful and avoiding extra movements (resting the effected joint for a while is advised).

Diet is very important also, avoiding protein rich food and also avoiding alcohol as these are triggering factors.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free if any more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD