• question-icon

Suggest medication for migraine

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have migraine once a week as far as I can remember.
I have seen neurologists who have ordered different medications. So far Demerol 100mgs with Gravol 100mgs are the only medications that gave me some relief and lower my Blood Pressure.

Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Beta blockers

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I have gone through the medications you are on, you are on the right medications for them. I would like you to tackle migraines by the following lifestyle modifications along with the drugs that have been prescribed.

1. It is popularly said that 'anything under the sun, including the sun can cause migraines'. Make sure to identify what triggers your headache. Most often it is stress, dehydration, irregular food habits, bright light, lack of sleep or alcohol.
2. Make sure to exercise daily, atleast for half hour. Keep yourself well hydrated
3. Avoid smoking and alcohol
4. Yoga and meditation has helped a lot of my patients

I usually start my patients on propranolol, it is a mild beta blocker and works well for headache prophylaxis. I recommend the same to you. It is taken once a day after breakfast, please approach your doctor with my suggestion

I hope i was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 hours later
I have taken Betablockers for the past 35 years.
A.S.A, 81mg daily
Hydrodiuril 50mg daily.
VitE 400mg daily
Magnesium and C and D Vit. daily
Vit B12 1000mg i.m. once a month.
I do aquafitness every morning for one hour.
Have never smoked or drink.
Am 5'2" weight 130.
RN graduated in 1954 retired in 1997.
Live alone in a Condo Building
I have seen the famous Neurologist Dr Rappoport in Stanford Connecticut he had prescribed
Dexamethasone 2 mgs. It did relief the pain but I could not sleep for 60 hours following this medication. At the moment I am getting a vaccine once a month
made for me after I had allergy test. So far it has not improved my condition.
Had a 12 hour severe migraine all night .
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Amitriptyline

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

If I were to be your doctor I would just treat once a week headache with pain medications and the current prophylactic medication is good enough but that's the amount of recurrence you are facing

However if it is bothering you then the only alternate would be to put you on Amitriptyline once at night increasing it slowly to twice a day dose. It has worked wonders for some of my patients who were refractory to first line of anti migraine pills

regards
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist