• question-icon

Suggest medication for loss of appetite

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Is there any medication to increase appetite for XXXXXXX patient (80) with Diabetes (20 years) CHF (15 years) and CKD (recently)? Patient has swelling in legs. Creatinine levels are on the higher side (3.2) . Haemoglobin is on the lower side (8.6)
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your sugar, creatinine and Haemoglobin are out of control.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic, I have seen the reports.

I do not see any treatment for anaemia which is very important in a patient with Diabetes with kidney problem.
The loos of appetite can be due to acidity caused by medications especially AZTOR, and Ecosprin, kidney problem.
I would also want you to do Liver function tests--which can also lead to loss of appetite.
Treating the cause--acidity, reducing creatinine, liver problem--will get rid of loss of appetite.
Take Omeprazole 20 twice a day extra for the present and revert back with LFT report.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply Dr XXXXXXX

Cintodac is being given, does this function similar to Omeprazole? Can both be given. Please let us know.

Also there is LV dysfunction. Liver function test report is enclosed. Please let us know if this changes anything.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes liver functions are disturbed.

Detailed Answer:
Cintodac is fine. Yes liver functions are disturbed. Please consult your doctor to add--Silymarin/Essentiale--any liver stimulant. This will certainly improve appetite--also whether Aztor can be stopped for a while till liver functions come back to normal--best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Geeta Sundar