Suggest medication for elevated blood sugar levels

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Diabetes
Question: sir I am a male of 46yrs .today my fasting sugar is 172 and pp is 230.i was taking metformin 500mg since last 6months.but unfortunately since last 1month I stopped that and started taking some ayurvedic medicines prescribed by an ayurvedic doctor.but today's blood test panicked me.so please suggest which allopathy medicines should I take to get a control of my blood sugar level.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query on HCM

"As"per your clinical history is concerned please follow like this -

As your sugar level is high so discuss with your treating Doctor about [pioglitazone + metformin]combination and take it regularly and check your fasting blood sugar every one month and tell your Doctor to adjust dose if required.

Do take some preventive steps like this -

1)Eat healthy foods. Choose foods lower in fat and calories and higher in fiber. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

2)Do more physical activity. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate physical activity a day. If you can't fit in a long workout, break it up into smaller sessions spread throughout the day.

3)Try to lose excess pounds. If you're overweight, losing even 7 percent of your body weight can reduce the risk of diabetes complications. To keep your weight in a healthy range, focus on permanent changes to your eating and exercise habits.

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj