• question-icon

Suggest ideal frequency of chemotherapy treatment for metastatic breast cancer

Posted on Fri, 26 Feb 2016 in Cancer
Question: My friend has metastatic breast cancer and its in her breast and liver. She needs 15 chemo treatments. Are the chemo treatments in the situation given weekly or biweekly?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I am sorry about such bad diagnosis in your friend.

Chemotherapy protocol depends on few factors. First, it depends on type of chemotherapeutic, it is more efficient to have chemo biweekly but only if patients general condition allows it. Also,after first 3-4 chemo treatment, evaluation should be done to see the effect. If this is positive then chemo may be continued in less frequent intervals.

Also it depends on type of cancer and number of metastases. All these factors should be considered by oncologist and discussed with patients about available options.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon