Suggest remedies for cancer pain from bone metastasis

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Cancer
Question: This is related to my fathers cancer treamtent.
Diagnosed with CA colon (2013) resected and followed by 12 cycles of FOLFOX.
Solitary Lung Met after 1 year. Again resected and followed by 12 cycles of FOLFIRI.
Another solitary Bone Met (8th rib left side) again removed and put on METRONOMIC chemotherapy (xeloda).
Rib met reoccured on the same location after one year, with honecombing on both lungs.
Currently taking palliative treatment TAGAFUR plus Calcium Leucovorin. Also had radiation (palliative) for the pain in the rib met twice over last 6 months.

But the Bone met is causing a lot of pain and discomfort (pain goes away only for a month after radiation) then comes back.

My question is can we do something about this bone pain? Is Avastin known to reduce the size of bone mets? or is there any other such drug?
Can we do radiation again to the same rib met? or may be attempt for more aggressive radiation.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HELLO. TARGETED DRUG CAN BE ADDED

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through your details. So your father has still not received targeted drug like erbitux and avastin. Either of these can be added to chemotherapy for an added response. prior to that kras, nras and braf mutation test needs to be done.
Re-irradiation is not possible in the same area.
For pain relief, various drugs like non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, opioids can be tried with good pain control.
Hope this is helpful
Feel free to ask further
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 14 minutes later
Will Avastin combined with tegafur reduce the bone met size to relieve pain?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Yes it may help

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Avastin is a good drug and can be used with tegafur. Pain control can be achieved with reduction in the size of tumor.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng