Is Avastin effective at treating pain in the bones while on chemotherapy?
Below is a brief summary of his ailment and the treatments undergone so far:
Diagnosed with CA colon (2013) resected and followed by 12 cycles of FOLFOX.
Solitary Lung Met after 1 year. Again resected and followed by 12 cycles of FOLFIRI.
Another solitary Bone Met (8th rib left side) again removed and put on METRONOMIC chemotherapy (xeloda).
Rib met reoccured on the same location after one year, with honecombing on both lungs.
Currently taking palliative treatment TAGAFUR plus Calcium Leucovorin. Also had radiation (palliative) for the pain in the rib met twice over last 6 months.
But the Bone met is causing a lot of pain and discomfort (pain goes away only for a month after radiation) then comes back.
My question is can we do something about this bone pain? Is Avastin known to reduce the size of bone mets? or is there any other such drug?
Can we do radiation again to the same rib met? or may be attempt for more aggressive radiation.
HELLO. TARGETED DRUG CAN BE ADDED
Hello dear. I have gone through your details. So your father has still not received targeted drug like erbitux and avastin. Either of these can be added to chemotherapy for an added response. prior to that kras, nras and braf mutation test needs to be done.
Re-irradiation is not possible in the same area.
For pain relief, various drugs like non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, opioids can be tried with good pain control.
Hope this is helpful
Feel free to ask further
Thanks and regard
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Scapula pain chemotherapy
- Chest and back pain while having chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy effects on bone density
- Jaw pain chemotherapy
- Painful lump on my neck chemotherapy side effect
- Side effects of avastin chemotherapy
- Chest pain after chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy for prostate bone cancer
- Chemotherapy weak bones and
- Folfox avastin chemotherapy
- What causes inflammation in the lungs while treating pneumonia?
- Can nodules in the lungs be cancerous?
- What are the long term side effects of Cytoxan and Taxotere?
- What does this biopsy report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for cough, headache and nausea
- Suggest treatment for a large tumor in the abdomen
- What is the prognosis for metastatic ampullary carcinoma?
- Suggest treatment for iron deficiency anemia
- What does my lab test report indicate?
- Is missing a dosage of medicine during anti tubular lymphadenitis...