• question-icon

Suggest homeopathic or ayurvedic treatment for hyperprolactinemia

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my daughter prolactin sperum 149 as normal range is 20 accordint to age 18. my question is that for this hompeopathic treatment or ayurvedic treatmenr available, is there any tension. kindly suggest medicines
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
To rule out prolactinoma.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query,
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Prolactin (PRL) is a hormone that is produced and secreted by the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is situated in the brain. It's function is to stimulate breast milk production in pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Hyperprolactenemia (high prl levels) can be due to:
- hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone)
- Prolactinoma - a tumor (mostly benign-not cancerous ) in the pituitary gland (rarely other brain tumors can cause excess PRL)
- certain medications (for Polycystic ovaries /vomiting/hormone treatment /pain killer)
- chest injury/kidney or liver failure

Physiological causes:
- pregnancy
- strenuous exercise
-chest

I would:
- get a detailed family & personal medical history
- do a complete physical exam
- do blood tests (thyroid hormone levels, kidney function tests, liver function tests, pituitary function tests)
-get an MRI of the brain (which is best to detect even tumors that are about 3mm)
-visual field testing of the eyes (if indicated)

Symptoms may include :
-Menstrual irregularities, infertility
- galactorrhea (milkish discharge from breasts)
- headaches /visual field defects

Based on these, I would decide on a treatment plan. If the cause is a tumor (about 40% of the cases), medical management will be first attempted. In many cases, this is successful. If not surgery may be needed.

Medical treatment involves cabergoline or bromocriptine. These need to be administered under care & supervision of a physician
In other cases, correction of the underlying causes will help to resolve the problem.

Occasionally, no cause can be found and treatment will be focused on reducing effects of high PRL.

To answer your query :
- there are medications for reducing effects of hyperprolactenemia in Homeopathy & ayurveda (as discussed with my colleague who is a doctor of Homeopathy).
-I would, however recommend that the cause be found and assessed before choosing a line of treatment.
- I also recommend not to self medicate. Any treatment (allopathic, Homeopathy, ayurveda) should be carried out under the doctor's supervision.

Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help you with.
If not, please close this discussion & rate my answer.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad