Suggest dosage for Warfarin while having heart failure

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my IRN target is 3.5 for heart failure diagnosis. my level is 2.3 at the moment. i'm on warfarin 10mg , how long will it take to reach my target.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Around 1 week time since starting of medicine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Warfarin 10mg is pretty high dose. Usually for other conditions we give 1, 2 or even 3mg and still patient comes to INR of 2 to 3 in about a week to 10 days period of time.
Any changes desired in INR occuring due to warfarin dose changes take about maximum 1 week time.
For valve replacement, target INR is 2.5 to 3.5. So I guess you are quitein your desired range and small increase in INR is required now.
Keep checking INR frequently as sometimes it will go very high and dose modification will be required. So keep tab on your INR levels after consulting your cardiologist for optimum INR levels.
I hope I have answered your question well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D