Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for dementia

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2533 Questions
My father is a Holocaust survivor, around 90 years old, with multiple health issues including a valve replacement and quadruple bypass heart surgery 15 years ago. All his life he suffers from the worst case of PTSD. He has some dementia now and at times aggressive behavior. The building wants to evict him. I have tried quetiapine and risperidone and there were awful side effects. His home health aide is sick (cancer) and can no longer work. Finding aides is awful. .. no medicaid at this time. Always a different aide and I am sole caretaker and have to explain to them each time. There is no Geriatric Center in my neighborhood hospital. Wish I did not live here in Forest Hills Queens. The culture of doctors here is different and if you find a good one it is 15 minutes on the computer. What am I supposed to do?
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Search for dementia support groups

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I am sorry to know that your father suffered all his life and there is little support for the geriatric care in locality. However being an online doctor I have little knowledge about the services available and accessible in your area.

Although you mentioned about the aides but I will request you to look for dementia support group in your area. I am sure that you will find one of such groups in your area which will be of great help for you.

In addition to this you can post your problems related to medications and other part of his illness to me if necessary. I will try my level best to suggest something which may be of help.

I hope this helps you to some extent.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor