Suggest dosage for Tylenol 3

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Greetings from Canada...the best treatment for me for cluster migraines was imitrex and t3s and cold pack and a strong coffee; a few other abortive and preventive drugs have not worked or I can not take due to other meds or conditions (fibromyalgia). I am now off imitrex. I am healthy 70 year old otherwise; have seen 2 neurologists and a number of other specialists(ophthalmolagist (sp?), allergist) . Have had these ' poker in the eye' cluster mig since I was a teenager. This summer has been soooooo humid here in XXXXXXX ...have had a cl for 7-8 weeks now. Am wondering if 6 T3s a day would be excessive. My own GP is OK with the range of 4-8/ day. Any other ideas most welcome. Many thanks and I hope our good friends and neighbours to the south survive this election.....there are 40 million Canadians watching in stages of disbelief! Good luck and many thanks
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
hello and thanks for your comments

Detailed Answer:
I think that 6 T3s per day would be fine if only used occasionally and if it does not make you too impaired. The thing you have to be concerned with with T3s is the tylenol. Three thousand mg per day is the most that is recommended.
Here are some other suggestions
For ending acute cluster headaches:
Oxygen therapy is one possible therapy that can be used to abort a cluster headache.
Octreotide, lidocaine and ergot preparations are other medications that may help
For prevention if headaches are frequent (drugs must be taken every day):
Verapamil is the drug of choice for prophylaxis of cluster headaches
Other drugs that may be tried are lithium, topiramate and melatonin.
Please work with your neuroloist to find the medication regimen that works best for you with the least side effects.
Dr. Robinson