Suggest diet to increase lithium levels

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: My hair analysis test showed I have less than .004 ug/g of lithium which is low, I feel very irritable and am verbally abusive which isn't me, counselling hasn't helped, is there anything eg diet suggestions
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No diet will help, increase lithium or add valproate

Detailed Answer:

Lithium is indicated in bipolar disorder. It has very narrow therapeutic range. Means lower level is not effective and higher level causes side effects. If your level is low, dose of lithium should be increased for irritability and abusiveness. Other option is to add mood stabilizer like sodium valproate. No diet will help in such situation.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 minutes later
My Doctor has never suggested that I take lithium, the hair analysis was done because I had exposure to insecticides, are you suggesting I should be prescribed lithium to help me cope?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no lithium needed then, valproate is good drug

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for clarification.

First of all you need to be evaluated for your symptoms and diagnosis should be established.However whatever the cause may be for uncontrolled anger sodium valproate is good drug. You can discuss the same with your doctor.

If you will be diagnosed with depression then only anti depressant medicines will be needed.

Feel free to discuss further.