Suggest diet for vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficieny

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Mon, 30 Jun 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Dear Sir/Madam,

My wife XXXX has done her blood test for testing of Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D3. In the report it is found she is suffering deficiency for both Vitamins.
1. Vitamin B12 - Value - 207
2. 25-OH Vitamin D - Value - 14.24
From last 4 to 5 years she is going through infertility treatment and we are not getting successful results. As I was going through internet found one article which says deficiency of Vitamin D lead to infertility, so we got this test done and found she is having deficiency.
We are vegetarian can you pls. suggest what will be the right medicine and food intake with which she can recover from these deficiencies.
I have reports but I am not finding any option to send or attach file.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fortified Foods and Supplements

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank You For Using HealthcareMagic.

Both Vit B12 and Vit D are mostly found in non-vegetarian foods. Since you are vegetarian, I would suggest you to take the fortified foods to fulfill the requirements of these two vitamins.

Vit B12 - Swiss cheese, mozzarella and feta cheese, whey powder, milk and yogurt, yeast extract spreads (available online) and foods fortified with Vit B12, like soy products, dairy alternatives and breakfast cereals.

Vit D - Mushroom, Swiss cheese and fortified foods like soy milk, almond milk, orange juice and breakfast cereals.
Always check the food labels to make sure that the food that you are buying has been fortified with Vit 12, Vit D or Both.

A sensible exposure to Sun is also important to get Vit D as Our body synthases it under the sunlight. Since your wife has allergy to harsh sun, make sure that she get the exposure to sun rays in the morning hours and for small duration but frequently.

Certain foods that can help in improving the reproductive function includes
Beans, Green Leafy vegetables, whole wheat breads, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, nuts and oil seeds. Take plenty of antioxidants through fruits and vegetables. Try Green tea a couple of times in a day. Taking a diet rich in fiber, protein and antioxidants is helpful, while trying to conceive.

It is important to avoid the Trans fats and too much of caffeine in the diet. Foods that contain too much additives and preservatives should also be restricted.

As far as supplements are concerned, there are wide variety of products available. You may try Ultra D3 tablets once a day/alternate day tablets for 3 months. Unicobal forte tablet once a day is a good vitamin b12 supplement.

Watch your weight and focus on a balanced healthy diet with exercises. Stay away from pesticides and other chemicals like mosquito repellent spray etc.

Hope this helps.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad