Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suggest diet for 2 year old child to gain weight

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
Doctor, Please advice the healthy food items or drink items to give for my son ( he is almost 2 years old) and he is very active but not taken food items... he likes only milk. he is very low weight. so need to improve his weight. please help.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer follows Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to health care magic. Your kid who is one year ten months old should be eating almost all the things that a adult consumes except for spices etc. Complete dependence on milk is not good. Your kid should be encouraged to consume other dietary substances also. This may not be easy. But slowly you should encourage him to have other dietary substances. Your family should eat together and form a example for him to have good diet. A mixture of cereals (rice) with pulses gives him the complete protein required. Add oil to diet to make it calorie rich. Encourage him to have egg, fruits (like banana XXXXXXX etc), vegetables (including green leafy vegetables) etc. All this may not be easy initially. Your kid's weight is low for his age. What is his birth weight? Get him examined to rule out other causes of low weight. Conditions like anemia etc. could be ruled out. Continue to ask further queries as required. Hope this helps. Take care. Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty M.D.(Pediatrics) Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor