Suggest decongestant for muffled ears

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 6 Jan 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have plugged ears and can't hear well for a week now, took decongestant for a few days, what can I take?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear blockage

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query,

Ear blockage can be due to ear wax or eustachian tube blockage leading to middle ear infection.

Please let me know, do you have any history of nasal infection or throat infection in the recent past?
Any history of recent air travel?

Please follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.

Awaiting...

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 minutes later
I started a week ago or so a little drainage in throat little bit of phelm, then last Monday hard to hear, took nasal decongestant for about 3 day, it did make alot of drainage, the nasal passage is clear but I can't hear good at all, this has happened with past colds, should I keep up with decongestant of a antihistine, I need to hear again for my job. is it better to take decongestant or antihistine to get rid of my ear plugging?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ear blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You should take a decongestant rather than only antihistaminics.
Also take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will help to decongest the tube and relieve the symptoms.
Any further questions are always welcome
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj