Suggest ayurvedic treatment for constipation

Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
I had contacted you 5 days ago regarding constipation predominant IBS. I have started taking the medicines you have prescribed. But I have bloating and pain near my belly region and it goes on increasing till night and gives some relief after have a bowel movement. It is very severe bloating. Can you please suggest what to take for this ? Also I saw that Kutajarishta is useful for IBS Diarrhea. Can I take it for constipation too ? Can you please give a little more detail for what all fruits and vegetable,beans,dals I can eat ? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me explain

Detailed Answer:

Hai,

First sorry for the Inconvenience that you experienced in last days.

I need to clarify you that in ayurveda especially in Classical practice we dint recommend medicines for individual symptoms. we take complaints as a whole and analysis which dosha is disturbed and depending upon that we choose medicine.
As per ayurvedic text reference kutajaristha is good for Irritable bowel syndrome, don't confuse generalised diarrohea with Irritable bowel syndrome. usually kutajaristam will not increase the bowel movement and cause such a problem like bloating and pain. you can continue the medicine.

IN Constipation-predominant IBS the following symptoms are common : dryness in skin, mouth, more constipation or alternating constipation and diarrhea,bloating flatulence; and a cold feeling. It is also associated with back or groin pain, weight loss, debility, anal fissures, insomnia, and anxiety.

since i dont know the Strength of your intestine,For a safer side I recommended you senna powder as approved by FDA and also available in USA. However, senna powder may cause abdominal pain and cramp in 5 to 10% of cases
But kayam choorna also contain rock salt and haritaki and other ingredient which facilitates to pass smooth and uncramped stools. unfortunately with moderate dose of senna leaves in kayam churna caused you bloating and pain.

kindly stop taking Kayam churna. Can take any mild laxative like Tripala choornam again as you are taking it earlier.

Take teaspoons of Abhyarishta with equal quantity of water twice a day after meals.

food items allowed:
ginger, fennel, and cumin that stimulate enzyme secretions will improve digestion, absorption, and clear ama from the digestive tract.
red rice,steamed green gram,butter milk, fiber containg fruits and vegetables.
Fruits;, leafy vegetable like sorrel, drum stick,,custard beans,etc, watermelon, cashew, pumpkin gourd, papaya, fig,
Guava when eaten with seeds provides roughage to diet can give relief from constipation.
Add more fruits to the diet like pears, grapes, Orange juice & Papaya.

foods to be avoided:
wheat based foods,maize,barley,red meat,dry and cold foods,hard digest food stuffs.
potato, egg plant, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower ,Sodas, junk foods, regular hotel foods.
Apple XXXXXXX XXXXXXX fruit,pinapple.
foods containing fermentable carbohydrates
artificial sweeteners like Sorbitol and mannitol

hope i answered your queries. If you need more clarification kindly let me know.

Dr.S.Senthilnathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 1 hour later
I don't have abdominal cramps, I have abdominal bloating,kayamchurna is working fine. I feel bloated during the day and in morning when I go to toilet,the bloating reduces but it increases as the day progresses and by night time it becomes a lot bloated as if a lot of gas is accumulated and my abdomen comes out by few inches and it becomes little normal in morning.
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need some details

Detailed Answer:
Hai,
Kindly give me your routine food intake with quantity and time of intake.
And give me details of medication details ,time of intake,dosage .

Any specific observation with food which causing bloating.
With the above details I can guide you even specifically with treatment guidelines.

Dr.S.Senthilnathan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 21 hours later
Hello Doctor,
I eat healthy only, morning little milk with cereals, afternoon some dal or vegetable or Dosa with chutney. Evening also Rice some vegetable sabzi. Do I need to stop Papad ? I eat sometimes that but not much. I had been to a gastro before and he had told me that I have IBS. I am not sure if what I am having is IBS. I will tell you my 3 main symptoms that I have, first is my stomach remains bloated most of the times and its been going on since 3 months,also if I dont take any triphala or sometimes miralax or some kind of laxative ,I am not able to excrete much. But with tripahala and other laxatives too.I never feel everything has come out of my body. I have taken heavy doses of Kayamchurna too,but not that much effective. Also I do not feel much hungry because my stomach remains bloated most of the times.Even if I dont eat anything entire day, i do not feel much hungry and stomach remains bloated and it pains a little near my belly region. As I am not able to eat properly, I am not able to do my work properly. What do you think is wrong with me? Hopefully you got how I am feeling. I do not know if this is IBS or not. My gastro here told me that it is IBS and he had prescribed my medicines for IBS. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
NEEd Physical Assessment and panchakarma treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hai,
After going through your history I didn’t find any IBS related symptoms. However a Gastro physician assessed you physically and diagnosed as IBS and that should be not taken in a lighter way.

With the previous and current discussion I cannot end up with any modern diagnosis like IBS.

In Ayurveda i can diagnose it as AMA.

Considering your problem of no appetite and irregular and uncomplete bowel movements indicate that your digestive tract and digestive process got abnormal. In Ayurveda we call it as AMA

Due to improper lifestyle and external negative influences (e.g. stress, strain, adverse weather, and inappropriate food with irregular timing) will be the primary cause. Ingested food will not digest properly and on long term process ama will develop and it will be the primary cause for all the diseases.

So to remove the toxin (ama) you need ayurvedic panchakarma treatment procedure.

Without assessing you properly (Physically)) and keep on prescribing medicine will not solve your problem.

You need a Physical assessment and you richly deserve panchakarma treatment under a supervision of Ayurvedic physician.

Do let me know for more clarification.

Dr.S.Senthilnathan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 5 hours later
Yes I have found a ayurvedic doctor here, I will be going there today. I will have a 30 mins consultation today with the doctor. Thanks for the help.
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hai,
Good.
Get back to me for any clarifications.
Thanks and regards
Dr.S.Senthilnathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar