Suggest ayurvedic remedy for hand foot and mouth disease in a child
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease [HFMD] & Ayurveda
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following is recommended guidelines for you:
1. Since the infection spreads from person to person thus maintaining personnel hygiene and hydration is the mainstay of treatment.
2. At her age boosting the Immune system [IMMUNOMODULATION THERAPY] to prevent relapse or recurrence of the disease is important which could range from a week [initial regime] to 2 months [continuation phase] is necessary.
PS. Since HFMD is caused by several different viruses thus there are two possibilities:
. If she is exposed to the same virus she won't be re-infected BUT
. as she will remain susceptible to infection with other virus [since study suggests that some virus may hide in children own cells]
3. avoid: acidic/citrus/spicy food, orange juice, [may irritate blisters/ulcer in mouth], prefer cold and maintain adequate fluid intake, pomegranate-apple juice
. maintain proper personnel hygiene [regular hand wash, avoid frequent contact of your child with other family member or children [sharing toys]
. prefer liquid more than solid [which require less chewing]
4. massage with 'coconut oil' [anti viral], which can be used as bath oil or you can take epsom salt with tea tree oil, and may apply tankan bhasam or Irimedadi taila over sores.
5. Eggs on one side provide the nutrition required by the growing age but in people infected with the disease there is lack of appetite thus may cause maldigestion in them. [talk with a Pediatric doctor]
6. Sponging at this time is better than giving bath, or prefer lukewarm bath
Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Thanks for reverting back and the said treatment/management can be done in following ways:
A. Immunomodulators corrects the dysfunction of tissues without disturbing the functions of normal tissues, and also potentiates humoral antibodies, by increasing serum Immunoglobulin’s such as IgA,IgG and IgM.
i. Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk, egg (white), beans, yogurt,soyamilk,pumpkin,squash,watermelon,peanuts,almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices
ii. Vitamin A: helps to maintain Thymus gland which is a powerful antiviral gland : thus XXXXXXX carrots,cantaloupe,egg yolk,apricots,pumpkin,papaya, are ideal
iii. Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla is best
iv. Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant which helps to stimulate antibody production: peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach,taro root can be taken
v. Vitamin B is important for the activity of phagocytes: eggs, cheese, pistachio, raw garlic, sunflower and sesame oil.
vi. Ashwagandha,Mandukparni,Shatavari,Trikatu,Vacha,Guduchi,are best Immunomdulators, you can consult with an Ayurveda Physician there about the same.
B. You can ask for Suvarnprashan [Immunomodulation] which is a mixture of Gold,Cow’s ghee and honey and which act to stimulate body immune cells and thus protect child from different harmful organisms for a long duration.
PS. at her age [3 years] she will require 64 drops [3 drops daily] for 21 days, and if interested I may send you the same with all necessary instructions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hand foot mouth disease coxsackie
- Hand foot mouth disease spread
- Hand foot mouth disease and paraganglioma
- Hand foot mouth disease pregnancy
- Hand foot mouth disease treatment
- Hand foot mouth disease peeling
- Hand foot mouth disease remedies
- Hand foot mouth disease abscessed tooth
- Hand foot mouth disease and listerine
- Hand foot mouth disease intercourse