• question-icon

Suggest alternative medication for Brilinta that does not cause dizziness

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife had a stent put in on XXXXXXX 4. Cardiologist prescribed 90 mg brilinta ever 12 hours and asprin. She was discharged on XXXXXXX 7. On XXXXXXX 9 experienced sever shortness of breath; went to ER and admitted. Between XXXXXXX 9 and XXXXXXX 15 (a) given 6 units of blood due to low Hemoglobin; (b) endoscopy performed with no evidence of bleeding; (c) had colonoscopy; found 6 AVNs which were cauterized; and (d) had a cat scan to determine location of bleeding. Results no yet known. Cardiologist says that taking brilinta unmasked pre-existing internal bleeding, but she must take brilinta to prevent clots at stent. QUESTION: Are their alternatives to brilinta that might not accelerate internal bleeding? Is there a drug that will stop internal bleeding? I think I can guess the answers to these questions, but hope XXXXXXX eternal.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I am sorry to hear what your wife is going through and here I want to tell you that this situation is a nightmare for every cardiologist and for the patient.

After putting stents patients has to take dual antiplatelet therapy to keep blood thin preventing clot formation there by keeping the stent patent for Blood flow.

Now as she has started bleeding so one drug has to be taken off. Alternatives to brilinta can be clopidogrel but it also carries bleeding risk.

Treatmentof bleeding totally depends upon the location and severity of the bleeders and this decision has to be taken by Gastroenterologist.

You can discuss these options with your treating cardiologist.

I hope this information will answer your query. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist