Suffering from vtamin D3 deficiency. What treatment and precaution should be taken?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Vitamins
Question: I am a male aged 48. I have a history of MVPS, low body weight (50 kgs for a height of 5 feet 11 inches), occasional low sugar syndromes, panic attacks, migraines and persistent muscular aches (which my physician calls fibromyalgia). I have a BP of 130/90 mostly and my random sugar levels hover between 75 and 100.

With medicines (for BP, palpitations), exercises, active life style and a relaxed, positive outlook of life, I have been managing my "body" all along :)

Now, recently, my physician asked me to do a Vit D test and found the level to be very low (3). Since then (for 5 weeks now), I have been on a Vit D supplement (one tablet a week), which is due for 3 more weeks. He also asked me to take a Thyroid function test and said the results are OK, though my TSH alone was way above normal.

Given these facts, are we (myself and my physician) missing something fundamental, which, if investigated and addressed could make my remaining life a little healthier and wholesome? - meaning, my weight would improve, my BP will be maintained without drugs, my migraines would go away, my body's sugar levels won't go down to scare the sweat out of me, my muscles will stop aching continuously etc.

Thanks a lot for your time and attention!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
The symptoms you have are likely to be due to Vitamin D3 deficiency. It usually takes 8-10 weeks for the therapy to show an improvement. You can get the serum Vitamin D 3 levels evaluated again to know.
You also need to get magnesium deficiency ruled out. Getting your serum electrolytes evaluated might be helpful. You can repeat the serum TSH levels after 6 months to see the trends.
Your symptoms should improve with magnesium XXXXXXX foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. As you have suggested, I will wait for the therapy to be completed to see improvement in symptoms.

Meanwhile, I have a doubt regarding my persistently low body weight (50 kgs). My physician explains it as due to an overactive metabolism. I am keen to know whether my low weight (and the alleged abnormality of the metabolism) could also be due to Vit D3 deficiency. If so, I will be eager to see improvement in my body weight too after the therapy. If Vit D3 levels have nothing to do with the metabolism or body weight, then do I need to investigate something else?

Would deeply appreciate your advice on this, as I am very eager to close the weight gap of nearly 20 kgs (considering my height of 177 cms), as early as possible.

Thanks for your time,
- XXXXXXX
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Vitamin D 3 deficiency is not likely to affect your body metabolism and cause the low body weight.
You can get your basal metabolic rate evaluated to know any metabolic rate abnormality. Genetics is the main factor responsible. If your parents or siblings are also underweight then may be it is in your genes.
The other causes that need to be ruled out are -
1. Depression.
2. Some hormonal disturbances like hyperthyroidism, Addison's disease - Some simple blood tests will rule this out.
3. Chronic illness - A long standing illness also causes lack of a healthy look.
4. Gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) - I hope you do not have any pain abdomen, loose stools, burning sensation in upper abdomen, etc.
5. Viral gastroenteritis.
6. Stress and anxiety.
7. Malnutrition.
8. Intestinal worms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.