What does the following abdominal and pelvic ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi. I am a 59 year old women. Never had a colonoscopy. Scared. But I have had a few CT with contrast. Abdominal/pelvic. They said I have some Diverticulitis but no polyps or tumors from colon. Can I feel comfortable with that for now? I check for blood in my stool all the time. Negative every time. I can't do the prep. My gag reflex is terrible. Someone told me their is pills. What can you tell me? I do have hemorrhoids. Sometimes the stool is normal and at the very end can get a bit narrow. I think that's the Hemorroids.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT scan is highly sensitive.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

As per your query answers are-

CT scan with contrast is a gold standard test to rule out possibilities of diverticulitis. It indicates inflamed or infected pouches and confirms the diagnosis of diverticulitis. CT can also indicate the severity of diverticulitis and guide treatment.

Any polyp, benign or malignant growth will also be apparent in CT scan. So I don't feel there is any need to do a colonoscopy as CT is also a very sensitive test.

Your gag reflex can be due to reflux esophagitis in which contents of stomach regurgitates back into the esophagus causing inflammation of esophageal mucosa.

I would suggest you to start using Nexium(Esomeprazole) 40 mg twice daily which can be increased to 80 mg twice daily dosage. However, if not relieved it can be combined with a prokinetic drug like Levosulpiride.

In trials combination of Esomeprazole with Levosulpiride has proved to be very effective in controlling Reflux esophagitis.

Latest trials have shown the effectiveness of Acotiamide 30 mg taken thrice daily for 3 months in treatment of functional dyspepsia.

You can discuss all options with your Gastroenterologist.

In case you are suspecting Hemorrhoids, I would suggest you go for digital rectal examination by your physician. proctoscopy and Digital rectal examination are the best way to rule out possibility of hemorrhoids.

Hope I answered your query.
In case you need any other professional advice, I would be glad to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Your right I have acid reflux. I could not swallow that salt water. If I ever have one, do they have pills for prep? I'm glad that you said the CT scan sees a lot. Especially after the amount of contrast I drank. I do have Diverticulitis. Sugar free things are bad for me. What's your opinion on the new COLOGUARD for screening with your DNA?
I have had the rectal exam. I have 2 degree hemorrhoids. I'm on hydrocortisone rectal cream.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Cologuard is a screening test and not a diagnostic test while colonoscopy and CT scans are diagnostic tests but yes it is an easy and non-invasive method to screen colon malignancies.

A positive result means the test detected altered DNA that could be caused by cancer or precancer in the colon or rectum. Any positive result should be followed by a diagnostic colonoscopy.

No, for the preparation of colonoscopy you have to drink polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution only. Pills are not available.

In case you need any other advice please feel free to ask.

Thanks.