Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suffering from mouth thrush after taking antibiotics. Nystatin didn't help, taking flucanozole. Advise?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I am suffering from mouth thrush after taking strong antibiotics. I was prescribed nystatin but that didn't help at all. I am now taking fluconazole 50mgs for 7 days. I have also started taking probiotics in capsule form. I also gargle with salty water and brush my tongue regularly. Could you advise me as to what else I could be doing to help clear it.

Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Bernard and I am pleased to be able to help you with your health query.

If your oral thrush (candidiasis) has been confirmed by a health care practitioner, then your treatment should come easily. First of all oral thrush presents with the following: Oral thrush causes creamy white lesions, usually on your tongue or inner cheeks. The lesions can be painful and may bleed slightly when you scrape them. Sometimes oral thrush may spread to the roof of your mouth, your gums, your tonsils or the back of your throat.
Treatment should come easy if you are actually presenting with oral thrush (but note that if you have any other chronic medical condition that affects your immune system such as diabetes, HIV, cancer, age etc then treatment could become difficult). Adults or children who have oral thrush but are otherwise healthy can try one of these: Eating unsweetened yogurt and taking acidophilus capsules or liquid (these play the role of probiotics), antifungal such as fluconazole (dosage of upto 150-200mg daily is recommended) or ketoconazole etc. The rest of the measures that you mentioned can be maintained.
If after the above, the thrust still persist, then you will need to XXXXXXX an internist or gastroenterologist. A specimen from your mouth might need to be analyzed in the laboratory.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor