Suffering from loose motion with burning sensation in anus. What could be the reason?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Good Afternoon. For the last 2 weeks I'm suffering from loose motions. motion is mostly watery. and for the last two days I'm having severe burning sensation in anus. I'm not able to sit also. Is this related to Piles or Amebeosis. Which specialist should I consult? Is there a quick relief for the pain? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
What you seem to be having is 'chronic diarrhea' which is defined as loose stools (3 or more stools per day) that last for at least two weeks.

It looks like infectious diarrhea which may develop when you travel, after eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water or unpasteurized milk.

You need to get blood, stool, urine tests and stool culture which may find the infection causing diarrhea. If these tests come out normal then other tests including X-rays or procedures such as colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy may be needed.

Till that time, you may try the following
1. Take over the counter lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, etc.
3. Avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).
4. Drink more fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea.
The pain and burning sensation in the anus is likely to be due to local dermatitis. You can do sitz bath with warm water after putting potassium permanganate crystals.
Applying a local analgesic and steroid ointment like Shield ointment in and around anus will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Should I consult a General physician or Gaestrentologist?

Also is Sheild ointment the medicine name?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can consult a gastroenterologist for a detailed evaluation.
Shield ointment is the name of the medicine which you can get over the counter at your nearest pharmacy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.